Formed in 2011, RKA Construction, LLC is a custom home builder located in Memphis, Tennessee. Created out of a love for building and a desire to provide a better ownership experience, our focus is simple- provide superior quality, craftsmanship, and customer service in everything we do.

Let us know if we can help with your current construction or real estate needs. We are a licensed general contractor and provide real estate services through Marx-Bensdorf Realtors. We would love the opportunity to assist you!


Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Have I told you I LOVE old houses?!?!?

When I went with Ryan to check out the demo going on at the South Montclair house, look what I found laying on the floor.



While the workers were taking out the old kitchen cabinets this beautiful key fell out of one of the drawers. The house has original door hardware on the interior doors but it's not the type with key holes, so I figured it was just a random old key.


Believe it or not it actually went to the back door. I was amazed that they still had the original hardware on the door and it still worked (not all that well but it did)! I highly doubt they still used this key, but still very neat. As you can see there were a number of other locks that had been added over the years.

 
Unfortunately we aren't going to be able to save this door but we are planning on replacing it with something that looks very similar and functions properly.

 
I always think how neat it would have been to live during a time when this was the key to your house. Can you imagine carrying keys around like this in your purse or pocket?

 
Ryan pointed out that if we lived during that time you probably didn't lock your doors and they probably rarely used this key at all. This made me start thinking.... 


My first thoughts were of Fulton, Kentucky, the small town where my parents grew up and where I was born and lived for a short while. Some of my favorite memories are of the times I spent there as a child with family and friends. It is a small town where everybody knows everybody, the houses are old and beautiful, and people still rarely lock their doors. 


I have always slightly longed for a life a like that. I do feel I got a taste of it since we spent so much time there, even after we moved. I feel that this is where my love of old houses started. Houses that were built when craftsmanship was still important. When subdivisions weren't just thrown up so quickly and everyone of them looked the same. 


That's why the work that Ryan and I are doing is so important to us. We want to restore these older houses to their former beauty and retain the character of the old while having the amentities of the new. We want families to come live in these houses and love them like all of their former owners have.

This is a picture of Ryan and me in front of  my great grandparents house in Fulton. Bubba and Dandy, (what we called my great grandparents) built this house in the early 1940's. Some family friends now own this home and I am so glad that another wonderful family gets to enjoy this home as much as my family did. A wedding shower was thrown for us at this house and it was so special to me.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the key but I am going to find a special place for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment